Thursday, February 21, 2008

Stainless Steel


So there was a bunch of stuff on my Christmas list that didn't make it under my tree last year, so I decided that I needed to get it for myself. The first item on my list was this Timolino vacuum infuser bottle. I got it from Amazon but first heard about it from Oh Joy. There were a couple reasons this bottle caught my attention.

  1. I like to drink tea and this bottle has a built in infuser so you can put loose tea leaves in it but still drink out of it without having to remove the leaves.
  2. It's made out of stainless steel. I'm not sure when this scare started...but it was sometime last fall when I started reading everywhere about the dangers of hard plastics (such as the plastic that Nalgene bottles are made out of). Something about bad things leaching out of the plastic and the more time that passed, the more articles I read in the design and magazine world about people switching to stainless steel options like Sigg and Klean Kanteen.

What really sold me was one of the Amazon reviews from a solider who took his Timolino to Iraq. You really can't beat that kind of endorsement.

I have to say that I am a satisfied customer. The bottle has a great design - sleek, clean and light. It is made of double walled stainless steel but has a coating on the outside that keeps it super cool to the touch. I have gotten several compliments and questions about it at work. Best of all it works really well. It keeps your beverage SUPER HOT... for a LONG TIME! If I make tea in the morning it will still be hot 3-4 hours later. Also, the lid really is leak proof.

Since all of my friends have been having babies lately, the next two products caught my eye.

  • One is a baby bottle that claims to be free of BPA (the bad stuff that they claim comes out of hard plastics).
They also have a stainless steel bottle design for adults. I like the design of this one...I might get it to use for water.



  • The other product is a stainless steel sippy cup.

I guess I just wanted to put this info out there to educate my friends and family about the possible risks of BPA and to educate my friends and family about their options. While the risk is still disputed...why not err on the side of caution and use a safer alternative.

Here are some articles about BPA. I hope some of you find this helpful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another reason breast is best! Thanks for the thinkbaby link - I have read about BPA and have been thinking about using glass baby bottles instead but the stainless have a cool design element. Although it does not seem to be an issue for us right now since Evangeline won't take any bottle.

Anonymous said...

Ooooooh, now I want a Timolino, and I'd never heard of it before. Nice!

We never used bottles at all with Kiernen. And as for sippy cups...we mostly just let him drink from regular cups. But when he does use one, we use one with a silicone lid. SOme of the stainless ones even concern me because they never say what the lid is made of, and that is what goes in their mouths and gets chewed on.