Thursday, July 07, 2005

London

I just went to read Crazy Aunt Purl and Laurie had posted about what happened in London this morning. I felt a weight lifted off my shoulders as I realized that I am not the only one in this world who is sitting at work in a daze of sadness and confusion. I considered writing about my feelings this morning but I was actually embarrassed to write anything....because I thought I was the only one reacting to the news! Just like Laurie, everyone in my office is just moving along, business as usual. Sometimes I wonder where these people come from?

I feel awful for all the people of London, knowing how it feels to see your country under attack. I feel awful for the people who were killed and injured and the families that are sick with worry. I feel awful that I live in a world where there is so much ignorance, hate and evil and I feel helpless to stop it. I feel trapped; scared to travel; scared to live my life. I feel terrified to even consider bringing a child into this world someday.

All I can think to do is to repeat my mantra. To try and remember that where there is darkness there is also light. Do not focus on the darkness.

"You are the light, You are the refuge, There is no place to take shelter but yourself."
~inscription over Buddha's ashes [via Andrea at Superherodesigns]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Its discouraging and reading history doesn't help. We (humans) have a terrible track record of wars, discrimination, etc...

I try (I emphasize try) to hang with people who are accepting and share in my basic beliefs. That's what keeps me sane - because reality (what's happening throughout the whole world) is not pretty.