Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Happy Birthday Mom

Example

This is one of my favorite photographs of my mother. That's my older brother sitting in her lap. I don't think I even existed yet when this photo was taken but something about it...the lighting I think...how the sun is shining behind her, just makes my heart skip a beat. Maybe it's her hair...I don't think I've ever seen her hair that long. I think she still has those hexagone glasses hidden somewhere in the house.

Today is my mother's birthday and as usual I have been the delinquent daughter. I've known for weeks that this day was coming, watching it on the calendar, trying to plan a gift...and then the next thing I know the day is upon me and I haven't done a thing!! I'm so bad! I did actually put something in the mail yesterday but it wasn't exactly what I wanted to send.

First I thought about sending you my first set of batiked napkins....except when I hand washed them this past weekend the dye faded into the batik pattern and made it all but disappear. =( not such a good gift. Then I thought about sending you the collage you said you liked....but I needed to seal it and paint the edges and everything in the apartment is packed already and I couldn't find all my supplies, blah, blah, blah....it just wasn't going to happen. =( again, sorry for the poor planning...

So I figured the best thing I could do was write you a little blog.

You are a beautiful, strong, funny, smart and loving woman. Each day I see a part of you in myself. The way I scramble eggs in the morning, the way I fold my clothes, the stack of magazines I have next to the couch, the pile of half started craft projects piled on my table, the common sense I dish out to whoever will listen, and the love I carry in my heart. You taught me all of these things and lots more. I miss you very, very much living all the way in Missouri and I hope you know that. I know there is so much more I could learn from you and about you... I hope I get the chance.

I love you Mom, very much. I hope you have a wonderful birthday and I hope I get back home to see you soon.

xxoo

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you like that picture because I'm in it. I make everything look good. I guess Maggie does look like me.

Anonymous said...

I think that is a beautiful photo of your mother, too. And Happy Birthday Sarah's mom!

Anonymous said...

Since you called me while I was reading this you know how emotional I was over it. I like this picture too and another one that was taken on the same day. They were taken by my friend John Scinta. I don't know about the beautiful and smart part but I think the love and care I invested in raising my children are reflected in the kind of adults they turned out to be.

Love you too.