Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Collage Wednesday

Example

Hey! It’s Collage Wednesday!

This is a collage that I made for my boyfriend Andrew….right before he was my boyfriend.

It was Valentine’s Day weekend February 2003. Andrew and I were still just friends and I went to visit him in NYC. We had a great weekend hanging with friends, visiting museums, eating yummy food….until….the blizzard of 2003 hit NY. We were eating a not so good seafood dinner in Manhattan when the snow started to fall. By the time we came out of the restaurant there was already 2-3 inches of snow on the ground. Now this might not sound like something to panic about…except Andrew’s car is a very tiny Mazda Miata convertible. This car was not made for snow.

It was a very exciting trip out of Manhattan and into Queens where we took our chances trying to make it to the grocery store to stock up in case we got snowed in. The place looked like a war zone!! Crowded with people, empty shelves with no food, I wasn’t quite sure we were going to make it out of there. We gathered supplies for chicken noodle soup, breakfast and snacks and trudged back out to the car.

Now getting home was the highlight of the evening. In order to get back to Andrew’s house we had to take a street that went right up a hill. Mazda Miata convertible + hill + 4 inches of snow = not really going anywhere fast. It was an absolute miracle that we made it up that street and personally I think it was my extra special skill of rubbing the car’s dashboard and screaming sweet nothings at it…”You can do it Tristessa! Go! Go! You can make it!” that got us up that hill.

The whole adventure was a blast and thank goodness we went to the store because 3-4 feet of snow fell on the city that night and we were most definitely trapped in the house….. for an extra 2 days!! The airport was shut down. Everything was shut down.

Out of sheer boredom and cabin fever I started sorting through Andrew’s supply of Wired magazines and this collage was born. It looks kind of awful because the only glue at my disposal was a crazy little bottle of, I don’t even know what, that didn’t work so well.

Beside the fact that the glue was awful I really like this piece. It brings back great memories and was so super spontaneous. It was my gift to Andrew and it hangs in his bathroom with another collage I made for him that I’ll show you next week. The orange border is actually the matting around the collage.

No comments: